2015 OTMC Pre-Season Handicap Report
I. Co-Chair Announcement. Bill Lacey and I will be Co-Chairing the Handicap Committee
II. 2015 Golf Season – 4/1 -10/31 based on individual course conditions.
III. Score Posting: Watch for Handicap Committee Announcements in the Pro Shop
and by the computer. We will make the call after consulting with Doug. Please Note:
This is not an individual decision, so in the absence of a Notice, regular posting rules
IV. NJSGA – Handicap Services
New Computer – Scheduled Late May.
On-line connectivity currently in beta testing. Will add out of area courses and
eliminate transmission problems.
Member Golf Days – Sponsored by the NJSGA. This is an opportunity for Old
Tappan members to play on the top rated courses in the area this season. Glen Ridge
CC, Upper Montclair, CC, Trump National, Hawk Point, Alpine, Etc. Visit the
website, http://www.njsga.org/member-golf-days. for details.
V. Pre-season Announcement: Check our website for a pre-season announcement, and to
review all handicap announcements throughput the season. You will also find the official
OTMC guidelines for Handicaps and score posting are also posted there.
Billy and I will be available to assist with any handicap questions and we are looking forward to another great golf season at Old Tappan.
The Men’s Club held its annual kickoff meeting at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 7th at the Par Bar and Grill at Old Tappan Golf Club.
The officers and committee chairs are as follows:
President: Jack Cooper
Vice-President: Al DiDonato
Treasurer: Rob Greeder
Secretary: Woody Forns
Tournament Chair: Tom Markham
Handicap Chairs: Rick Russell & Bill Lacey
Sunshine Chair: Donal Morrissey
Golf Commission Liaison: Ray Donnelly
Tom Markham will be looking for volunteers to assist in handling the individual championships. We will also be looking for individuals to help with planning various events (cocktail parties, holiday parties, etc). Contact one of the officers to volunteer.
For players who will be 80 years old or older by October 31, 2015, we will be utilizing a set of forward tees. Specifics will be announced as we get ready to play.
We will have a meeting after the first ABCD. Some topics to discuss is the rules for the Member/Member and the combination of handicaps to be allowed. Current thinking is to require a combined handicap after the 80% of not more than 36 but also must be greater than 10.
With our tournament season about to start, please remember the two important procedures below. Disqualification may result from not adhering to these procedures.
- You must sign up for a tournament BEFORE teeing off. This procedure is for everyone’s protection. If you decide to attempt to qualify on Sunday and you shoot a career round on Saturday, congratulations! But you’re still qualifying on Sunday.
- When entering scores on the sign-up sheet, please enter scores for every hole, not simply your total score or your front-nine, back-nine and total scores. These hole-by-hole scores are used not only as tie-breakers for qualifying, but are also used for seeding purposes. Thus, we need hole-by-hole scores from everyone.
When taking carts from the cart bin, please be aware that the carts to the right are under repair. Only take carts that are to the left in the bin. Thank you for your cooperation.
• Golf Season – Begins April 1st and runs through October 31st.
The computer has been on for the past few weeks so our members may check handicaps and post in-season scores played away. When in doubt, ask the pro if they are in-season before posting.
• Handicap Allowances – Based on Course Handicap. ( USGA Index adjusted for Old Tappan tees.)
All matches are to be played at Course Handicap unless an authorized committee finds it necessary to make an adjustment during tournament play. In such a case, the golfer will be notified in advance of the reason for the adjustment and may appeal.
• Peer Review – Golfers are required to post all scores, (home and away), for rounds played according to the rules of golf. They should follow the guidelines on the bulletin board for adjusting scores according to the following: equitable stroke control, holes not finished, and holes not played.
It is our responsibility to monitor scores throughout the season. If a golfer is suspected of manipulating his handicap or fails to post, please feel free to remind the golfer and bring it to my attention so we can determine the appropriate response.
• Score Cards – Proper completion of score cards is required for all men’s club tournaments.
Failure to properly complete and return score cards as directed by the Tournament Committee may result in disqualification. Score cards should only be placed in the box for major tournaments and as directed by the Committee to do so.
We will be monitoring score posting for the major tournaments in particular to make sure scores are posted properly. I have asked the tournament committee to add a “Date Played” column to the sheets for these events and to coordinate this with my committee.
Also, a link to the Handicap Committee section of the USGA Handicap Manual for your reference:
Thank you for your assisstance and enjoy the season!